1. Work with an accountant that has a property portfolio of his own, and works with other clients with property portfolios.
2. Look to organise structures - trust, companies, etc.
3. Constantly review (e.g. every quarter) and ask questions to your accountant.
4. Preparation of numbers, paperwork and accounts can be very helpful - and cost you less at tax time.
5. Ask questions of experienced property investors.
What do they do? Who do they use? How have they set up their accounts? What processes do they use? How would they do it differently?